Marijuana Survey Provides Definitive Results
By Jeff Sutherland
The golf marijuana survey conducted by Inside Golf and British Columbia Golf is now complete with 56 facilities and 5466 golfers responding.
FACILITY SURVEY KEY RESULTS*
*56 facilities from across Western Canada responded (Facility breakdown: Private - 9; Semi-Private - 20; Public - 27).
- 75% of facilities currently do not have a marijuana policy in place.
- 60% are likely or very likely to allow marijuana use on their course.
- 53% plan to have a policy similar to that for tobacco and cigars.
- 32% plan to modify their golf cart policy to take marijuana into account.
- 27% would consider selling marijuana if allowed.
* Access to full survey results to Clubs and Club Managers available on request.
GOLFER SURVEY KEY FINDINGS & HIGHLIGHTS*
*5466 golfers responded: 63% are members at a club; 37% are daily fee players; 97% are from BC, 3% from Alberta; 85% of respondents are aged 55+.
- Overall, one-in-seven golfers (both daily fee and club members) plan to smoke marijuana on the golf course.
- This rises to one-in-two for those under the age of 35 and drops to less than one-in-ten for those 55+.
- Overall, six-in-ten golfers are uncomfortable with anyone smoking marijuana on the course.
- Being comfortable being paired with someone smoking marijuana on the golf course declines in a straight line as age increases (<35: 75%, 35-54: 50%, ≥55: 25%).
- Eight-in-ten golfers who are members at clubs would like to have input into decisions regarding marijuana use at their club. This rises to 88% for those planning to smoke.
- Three-quarters of golfers do not think that marijuana should be smoked within viewing distance of junior players.
- Almost nine-in-ten of those planning to smoke marijuana on the course view it as the same as drinking alcohol or smoking tobacco/cigars as compared to only six-in-ten for nonsmokers.
In-Depth Articles summarizing and analyzing results can be found at these links:
These articles can also be found in the current print version of Inside Golf magazine and upcoming issue of BC Golf's digital magazine, The Scorecard; PDF versions for distribution to club memberships are available on email request.
Full Survey Results can be found at the links below:
For more information, please contact Jeff Sutherland
Publisher & President, INSIDE GOLF Inc.