Smithers Golf & Country Club Seeks Director Of Golf Operations/Club Professional
The Smithers Golf & Country Club (SGCC) is a well-established 18-hole championship golf course which includes a practise facility, spacious clubhouse, golf shop, commercial kitchen, restaurant and bar. Picturesquely located at the base of Hudson Bay Mountain in northwestern BC, the course is typically open from late April to mid-October.
The Club offers a high-quality golf experience to its 470 members, as well as green fee and tournament players. Additionally, the clubhouse is a preferred venue for private, corporate and community events throughout the year.
Established in 1931, the SGCC is operated by a non-profit society where all profits are reinvested in the course, equipment upgrades and infrastructure. A recent very successful member lead fundraising initiative generated $530,000 to complete our Irrigation Capital Project.
Smithers is a vibrant community and offers an amenity-rich lifestyle. In addition to golf, other world-class outdoor recreation opportunities such as skiing, snowmobiling, mountain biking, kayaking, fishing and hiking are also at our doorstep. A thriving music and arts community, a full-service airport, and an engaged community further add to the reputation of Smithers as a great place to live.
The Director of Golf Operations/Club Professional manages the professional delivery and financial integrity of all aspects of Golf Club operations in accordance with approved policies, procedures and standard accounting practices. This includes, but is not limited to, the golf shop, tournaments/league play, member/customer services, facility rentals, restaurant, bar and kitchen operations. The Pro works closely with the Golf Course Superintendent and is responsible for providing an exceptional golf experience and a high standard of customer service to all members and guests. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors (the Board) with the primary contact being a designated member of the Board.
- To professionally manage the allocated operations and capital budget for golf shop, food and beverage and clubhouse operations. Work closely with the Bookkeeper and Treasurer in all aspects of budget management and financial reporting and analysis
- To work with the golf operations staff, club management team and various member committees, to organize, schedule and manage all club tournaments, leagues, marketing initiatives, coaching and instructional programs and outside events
- To operate a profitable golf shop, providing expert advice, custom fitting, special orders, and lessons for members and guests
- To maintain accurate golf shop inventory, rigorous purchasing and cash controls while reconciling Point of Sale data and Sage accounting on a regular basis
- To recruit, hire, train, develop and evaluate new staff and to ‘lead by example’ to foster a strong Operations Team
- To maintain and promote a well respected and professional image within the Club, the Industry, neighboring golf clubs and the Community
- To monitor and evaluate the financial performance of all golf operations relative to budget goals. Analyze budget variances, develop and implement action plans to achieve appropriate adjustments
- To create and implement processes to ensure a consistent and superior level of guest and member service delivery throughout the facility
- To develop new revenue streams such as corporate sponsorships, public/private funding opportunities and the rental of club facilities in the off-season
- To develop new and innovative ways in which to encourage membership growth and participation in Club events
- To lead the development of operating procedures and training manuals for the golf operation in conjunction with the Board
- To coordinate and participate in an effective Junior Golf Program
- To present monthly program reports to the Board in a preapproved format
- To facilitate weekly club management team meetings with the Course Superintendent and Food & Beverage Manager to ensure proactive communication and mutual success
- Preferred Class A CPGA Professional in good standing
- Two years experience in a golf operations role, or equivalent management experience
- Preferred experience and/or training in food and beverage operations
- Experience in the use of Point-of-Sale systems, Excel, Word, Golf Genius, and social media in general
- Experience in hiring, supervision, staff training and situational leadership
- Strong organization, multi-tasking and interpersonal skills
- Valid BC Drivers Licence
- Current Criminal Records Check
Under implementation of lesser qualified candidates will be considered.
- Annual salary $65,000 to $75,000 + 100% lesson revenue and performance incentives. This is a year-round position and final salary will be negotiated based on experience
- Multi-year contract
- Extended Benefits package
- Golf Privileges and Meal Program
- Cell Phone Allowance
- PGA of Canada Dues reimbursed upon completion of year
- 6 weeks paid vacation (January, February)
If you are a motivated individual and want to be part of a dynamic team and energetic community, please forward your resume and cover letter via email by November 22, 2021 to:
Andrew L’Orsa, President, Smithers Golf and Country Club, Board of Directors