Defending Champion Zach Bauchou Ties Course Record To Lead Canadian Men’s Amateur
Defending Champion Zach Bauchou Has The First Round Lead In The 2018 Canadian Men's Amateur - Image Courtesy Golf Canada
DUNCAN, B.C. – Reigning champion Zach Bauchou fired a 65 in Monday’s opening round of the 114th Canadian Men’s Amateur Championship at Duncan Meadows Golf Course to tie the course record and lead by two strokes.
The Forest, Va., native thrived in the sweltering B.C. weather, going 7-under through his first 10 holes thanks to two eagles—one that included a hole-out from the bunker on No. 17. Bauchou cooled off on his final eight holes, giving one back with a bogey on the par-3 7th.
“I was making some nice putts and hitting my irons really well,” said Bauchou, greenside at the 9th hole. “My round kind of fizzled off at the end—I missed a short putt and stopped making some putts. But 65 is still a solid round and it’s a good start.”
Bauchou will tee off at 1:03 p.m. PT on Tuesday at co-host Pheasant Glen Golf Resort. He plans to clean up some minor mistakes, with the game plan remaining the same.
“I really felt like the last eight holes I could have played a lot better, so I need to touch up on some things this afternoon and come out strong tomorrow,” said the 22-year-old Oklahoma State junior. “I’m going to hit a lot of drivers out there [Pheasant Glen], you just need to hit some good wedges and make some putts.”
There is a five-way tie for second at 4 under par consisting of: Team Canada National Squad member Joey Savoie (La Prairie, Que.), Andrew Harrison (Camrose, Alta.), Kaleb Gorbahn (Smithers, B.C.), Julien Sale (Gatineau, Que.) and Oliver Ménard (Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, Que.).
Canadian Junior Boys champion Christopher Vandette of Beaconsfield, Que., sits in a four-way tie for 7th at 3-under par.
Team Quebec jumped out to an early lead in the 36-hole inter-provincial competition for the Willingdon Cup. The trio’s lowest two scores (67-67) of the round from Savoie and Sale gave the team a score of 8 under par and a six-stroke advantage. Teams Alberta and British Columbia share second place at 2 under par. The Willingdon Cup champion will be crowned on Tuesday at Pheasant Glen.
In addition to claiming the title of 2018 Canadian Men’s Amateur champion, the winner will earn exemptions into the 2018 U.S. Amateur at Pebble Beach Golf Links in Pebble Beach, Calif., and the 2019 RBC Canadian Open at Hamilton Golf & Country Club in Hamilton, Ont. from June 3-9.
The champion will also be eligible to receive an exemption into the U.S. Junior Amateur, the U.S. Mid-Amateur or the U.S. Senior Amateur, if applicable.
Click here for full results.
2018 CANADIAN MEN’S AMATEUR CHAMPIONSHIP LEADERS
1. Zach Bauchou, Forest, VA, * 35-30-65 -6
2. Kaleb Gorbahn, Smithers, BC, * 33-34-67 -4
2. Andrew Harrison, Camrose, AB, * 32-35-67 -4
2. Olivier Ménard, Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, QC, * 32-35-67 -4
2. Julien Sale, Gatineau, QC, * 34-33-67 -4
2. Joey Savoie, Montréal, QC, * 35-32-67 -4
7. Philip Knowles, Jacksonville, FL, * 33-35-68 -3
7. Brendan MacDougall, Calgary, AB, * 35-33-68 -3
7. Maxwell Sear, Unionville, ON, * 33-35-68 -3
7. Christopher Vandette, Beaconsfield, QC, * 33-35-68 -3
11. Josh Armstrong, Australia, AB, * 36-33-69 -2
11. Shaun Dunphy, Saskatoon, SK, *34-35-69 -2
11. Chia-I Lai, Taipei City, Chinese Taipei, *33-36-69 -2
11. Tristan Mandur, North Cowichan, *36-33-69 -2
11. Fred Allen Meyer, Nicholasville, KY, *34-35-69 -2
11. Eric Shea, Brantford, ON, * 35-34-69 -2
11. Cameron Young, Scarborough, NY, * 35-34-69 -2
WILLINGDON CUP STANDINGS
1. QC – Hugo Bernard, Joey Savoie, Julien Sale, *69-65-134 -8
2. AB – AJ (Allan) Armstrong, Jesse Galvon, Patrick Murphy, * 71-69-140 -2
2. B.C. – Chris Crisologo, Kaleb Gorbahn, Kevin Carrigan, * 69-71-140 -2
4. ON – Garrett Rank, Thomas DeMarco, Thomas Giroux, * 75-69-144 +2
5. NB – Nick Earle, Stuart Earle, Sam Reid, * 72-74-146 +4
Click here for full results.