BC Golf Announces 2016 Eddie Hogan Cup Team
BC's Eddie Hogan Cup Team: From (L-R) Thomas Verigin, Jaewook Lee, Matt Palsenbarg (Coach), Andy Kim And Isaac Lee
British Columbia Golf has announced their team for the 2016 Eddie Hogan Cup Team Matches to be played from Friday, August 12, 2016 to Sunday, August 14, 2016 at Riverside Golf & CC in Portland, OR.
British Columbia has sent a team every year as a chartered member, for the last 47 years, to this tournament. The competition includes teams from Southern California, Northern California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Idaho, Hawaii and other states.
The competition is well attended from college coaches from the North Pacific region and is an elite Championship, some of the best junior boys will be at the Eddie Hogan matches and its always an honor to be on this team.
48th annual Eddie Hogan Cup Team Matches
BC Team Players:
Thomas Verigin – 17 from West Vancouver, BC – Seymour G&CC
- Won the Zone 4 Richmond Junior Invitational on April 23, 2016 (shot 70)
- 3rd at May 8th 2016 Squamish junior Invitational (shot 72)
- T6 at 2016 BC Junior Boy’s Championships (73-69-73-69)
- T25 at 2016 BC Amateur (68-77-79-70)
- Member of the 2016 Junior America’s Cup BC Team (72-77-74)
Andy Kim – 16 from Langley, BC – Redwoods GC
- 4th at BC School “AAA” Championship (72-73)
- 23rd at 2016 BC Junior Boy’s Championships (74-70-78-71)
- Currently ranked 2nd on the 2016 MJT Juvenile Boys Order of Merit
- T3 at 2016 MJT Lindsay Kenney Classic at Pagoda Ridge Golf Course (70-75)
- Won the 2016 MJT Prodigy Series at Morgan Creek (69-76)
Isaac Lee – 16 from Pitt Meadows, BC – Swaneset Bay Resort
- T21 at 2016 BC Amateur (71-74-71-77)
- T4 at 2016 BC Junior Boy’s Championships (70-70-70-73)
- T5 at CN Future Links Pacific Championship
- Member of the winning team at the 2015 and 2016 BC School “AAA” Championship (70-70)
- Currently ranked 2nd on the 2016 Junior Boy’s Provincial Order of Merit points
Jaewook Lee – 16 from Langley, BC – Lab @ Northview
- Member of the 2016 Junior America’s Cup BC Team
- T30 at 2016 BC Junior Boy’s Championships (76-69-73-77)
- T20 at 2016 BC School “AAA” Championship (76-78)
- Currently ranked 3rd on the 2016 Junior Boy’s Provincial Order of Merit points
- T2 at 2016 AJGA Winn Grips Heather Farr Classic in Phoenix, AZ (66-68-74)
Matt Palsenbarg - Coach
- Returning coach (coached the 2015 Eddie Hogan BC Team)
- Matt has been working in the golf industry for over 21 years and coaching for 14 years at Northview Golf and Country Club. His coaching and playing has taken him all over the globe. Matt has a true passion for coaching and making players better.This same passion has lead him to become one of the most in demand coaches in the Vancouver area. In 2010 he took over as Director of Instruction title at the Northview Golf Academy. That same year he also founded the Tour Performance LAB Program with his business partner Jason Glass who is a one of the worlds leading golf fitness presenters and educators.
- He has worked with BC Golf as a Provincial coach since 2008. He has taken 4 BC teams to the Canadian Junior Boys. He has also taken BC teams to International competitions as well as coaching the BC team to the Gold in both Boys and Girls at the Western Canada Summer Games
48th Eddie Hogan Cup Team Matches Website: http://oga.org/junior-golf/hogan-cup-team-matches
About the 48th Hogan Cup The Hogan Cup 36-hole team matches pit the best junior golfers from the Western United States and Canada against each other in a team format with the three lowest scores each day determining the team total. Awards are presented to the top three teams as well as the top three individuals in the field. Team Roster of participating organizations will be available near the beginning of August.
The event began in 1969 in commemoration of the vast achievements and contributions to the sport by Eddie Hogan, their long-time head golf professional who served the club from 1939 until his tragic drowning death in 1968. At its inception, the competition was between the Portland Metro All-stars and junior golfers representing the rest of the region.
Hogan, an Oregon Amateur champion and PNGA Amateur Champion, was credited for transforming the role of the golf professional, developing what is now considered the standard for the green grass pro shop. Hogan was also dedicated in helping the Oregon Golf Association develop its widely-recognized junior golf program. Being selected to compete in Hogan Cup matches is an honor that has been bestowed to few individuals, and the excellence of past participants is indicative of the quality of the small, select field.
Hogan Cup alumni include tour players such as Bobby Clampett, Fred Couples, Joe Rassett, Jack Renner, Lennie Clements, Scott Simpson, Rick Fehr, Robert Gamez, Bill Sanders, Kirk Triplett, Jim Nelford, John Fought, Peter Jacobsen, Jeff Quinney, Casey Martin, Jason Gore and Tiger Woods